Saturday, March 21, 2009

Theme post: Cheap Gadget I had to Buy

Today is a theme post called 'Cheap Gadgets I had to Buy'.

Please check out my other two blogs to see what cheap gadgets I bought for the house and kitchen.
These are called 'watering cones'. You attach a 1 or 2 liter plastic bottle filled with water to the 'watering cone' and it is suppose to slowly water the 'root zone' of your plant. I thought these would be great for fertilizing my tomato plants. I use fish emulsion which you mix with water and then pour onto the soil around your plant. As you might guess, it's not the best smelling solution, but given the choice I would rather smell composted manure than fish emulsion. But nothing works better than fish emulsion and an added bonus is that it is a non chemical organic fertilizer.

The price was $3.99 for 6 'watering cones' and I purchased 2 packages. Why did they name them 'watering cones'? I think 'watering spikes' make more sense. I bet I know. Look closely at the bottom left corner.I think they felt 'spikes' sounded too dangerous. And of course one cannot be too cautious so they added yet another warning on the back.
Wear safety goggles when setting up the product? And notice not just any goggles but ANSI goggles. And if that is not enough warnings to scare you off they add that last little line...SAVE THESE WARNINGS.

So far none of those warnings scare me. Goggles, well if I must, I'll throw on a pair of cheap sunglasses. SAVE THESE WARNINGS??? Yea right, I'll add it to all the mattress tags I've ripped off.

What I find REAL SCARY is MADE IN CHINA. I wonder what poisonous materials these 'watering cones' are made out of????? Malamine or maybe lead?

2 comments:

baby sister said...

You'll find out what material the 'spikes' are made of once they kill your tomato plants - contaminate your ground water - and give you some sickness!!! YIPES! (just kiddin'...hopefully...)

Sandy said...

I wonder if you could buy the "spikes" and use an old pop bottle for the water reservoir...